Fancy is Easy

People often ask me how I cook so many fancy looking things. They think it's difficult, time consuming, and expensive. Sometimes that is true. Sometimes I select a recipe with several steps or that needs to be started days in advance or requires a pricy ingredient. But mostly, I'm too lazy, short on time, and tight budgeted, but I can still whip up something fab.

It's not sorcery. And I want to share some tips with you, plus three recipes that taste delicious and look impressive but are really quite easy, relatively quick, and don't break the bank.

Tips:
#1 - Stock the Pantry. A well-stocked pantry is your best friend. Here are some things I always have in my pantry/fridge that can be easily turned into an amazing and filling meal...
Grains: Pasta (in several shapes), rice (arborio and white), polenta and grits. These things provide a nice base for dinner and they keep in the pantry a long time so you can always reach for them. I also have some quinoa and cous cous (though Josh will not eat them so they are for solo dinners.)
Beans: I keep an assortment of canned beans for instant substance. Just rinse and use!
Eggs: Eggs for dinner are an easy, fast protein - which is great when you totally forget to buy meat!
Frozen Shrimp: They defrost quickly and can be tossed with pasta, top grits, or be stirred in with beans.
Seasonings: Garlic, onion, some selection of fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme), and whatever dried spices/herbs you have (cayene, crushed red pepper, cumin, corriander, etc) All of these things add flavor to your cooking. And of course as it gets warmer you can keep fresh herbs in the garden.

#2 - Proper Planning. It helps, of course, that I'm an anal retentive freak of nature who not only likes to make lists, it gives me immense joy and satisfaction. On Saturday or Sunday (my grocery days) I plot out my meals for the entire week. Not only does this help me shop efficiently, it helps me budget, it helps me to not waste food, and it helps me stay healthier (ie. don't eat a bagel for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch if pasta is on the menu for dinner). I don't always stick to the plan, sometimes things come up and that's okay, I adapt. But overall it keeps me organized and it makes my life easier.

#3 - Find Inspiration. I find dinner inspiration online and in magazines. I don't usually follow the recipes exactly, they just provide ideas and I make them work for me with what I have in the fridge or what I can find on budget at the store. I flip through my Bon Appetit and Food & Wine Magazines and drool over the pictures. Here are some of the web sites I use for inspiration...
Epicurious
Smitten Kitchen
Food 52
Food Network

Now for the recipes! Three easy, tasty, fancy (ish) recipes to try out!

Grilled Chicken in Spiced Yogurt
Serves 6


  • 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 Tbl olive oil
  • juice of a lemon
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbl chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 3/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup small fresh mint leaves, chopped
  • ½ cup cilantro, chopped
  • 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lb total)

  1. Whisk together yogurt, oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic, salt, spices, and herbs then add chicken and turn until coated well. Marinate at room temperature 20 minutes.
  2. While chicken is marinating, prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill, then light charcoal. Charcoal fire is medium-hot when you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds. If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderate.
  3. Grill chicken (discard marinade), covered only if using gas grill, on lightly oiled grill rack, turning over occasionally, until just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.





Creamy Polenta with Truffled Mushrooms and a Fried Egg
Serves 2


Creamy Polenta:
1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp kosher salt
¾ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 Tbl butter
¼ cup (or more if you like) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Truffled Mushrooms:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
8 ounces mixed domestic and wild mushrooms, sliced or cut into naturally occurring pieces (about 2 cups)
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbl butter
2 tsp truffle oil
fresh parsley, chopped for garnish


Fried Egg (I’m not giving you a recipe for this)

1. For the creamy polenta: In a heavy-based saucepan, combine the cream and milk and heat over medium-high heat just until small bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Add the salt, and whisk until quite frothy.


2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and very slowly whisk in the cornmeal, whisking constantly to make sure there are no lumps. Switch to a wooden spoon, add salt and pepper, and simmer, stirring almost constantly, for 10 minutes, until thick. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly while you're stirring. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan and butter.

3. For the truffled mushrooms: In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until the shallots just begin to color on their edges. Add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid is released. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in the butter and truffle oil.


4. Divide the polenta among bowls or plates. Spoon some mushrooms over each serving of polenta and top with a fried egg and garnish with parsley.

Tuscan Bean and Wilted Arugula Salad
Serves 4


*This could easily become a more substantial dinner with the addition of sauteed shrimp or good canned tuna


1 can white beans (Canellini beans or Great Northern Beans)
salt and pepper
5 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
6 cups baby arugula
¾ cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved


  1. Rinse and drain beans. Place in large bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1 tsp olive oil, toss to coat.
  2. Heat remaining oil in small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, saute about a minute or until garlic just begins to brown, be careful not to let it burn. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
  3. Add arugula to beans, season with salt and pepper. Add onion and garlic mix, toss to combine.


EMAIL



Comments

  1. Abby, I agree with you that lists and organization are key. The grilled chicken inspiced yogurt recipe looks wonderful. Thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts