Addiction is an Ugly Thing

On Vacation with my most prized possession.
Dog snuggles and lap top snuggles.
Hi, my name is Abby and I'm addicted to my lap top. I didn't know that I had a problem until I had to bring it in for service (it needed a new battery) and I went to Small Dog Electronics and asked how long I would be without my beloved. (Right there, I should've realized I had issues). They told me it would take a few days (I felt faint) I told them I had to get my affairs in order and that I would return. When I finally came back and left my lap top in their hands, I thought I would be fine. I had a Chromebook to keep me plugged in while the work was being done. Then one night, about 3 nights into my Macbook absence, I snapped. I was attempting to cook dinner and the sink was still full with dishes from breakfast, I could feel panic and impatience rising up within me and I directed it, with laser beam focus, towards my poor, unsuspecting husband who is always the dish doer. I cook, he cleans, it's a beautiful thing. So this one time, when he hadn't gotten to the dishes before I could start dinner, I completely lose it on him.

Me: "Ohmygod! I can't fill up water in my soup pot because the dishes are in the way!!!"
Husband: "Oh, sorry babe."
Me: "Are you Josh?!? Are you?!"
Husband: "Uh, yes, I will clean them right now"
Me: "No," said in complete martyrdom, "I'll do it myself" (puffing and exasperated) 
Husband: (comes into kitchen warily) "Honey, I think we're seeing the first signs of computer withdrawal."
Me: "Haha, oh...huh...sorry."

So now I realize that I have three addictions, laptop, wine, food. It could be worse. And though I'm again waiting for my laptop to be repaired at Small Dog (it stopped working over a week ago, thank God I backed up!) I have wine and food to get me through the roughest patches. Here is what I've been making in my kitchen to soothe the hurt of being sans Macbook again...


Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Herbs
Serves 4
This Vegetarian and ‘carb-free’ dish is easy to execute, flavorful, and makes a nice filling meal, especially when paired with a nice green salad.

Ingredients
a 2- to 2 1/2-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preparation

  1. Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Brush the flesh with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves cut-side up on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 50 minutes.
  2. Remove the squash from the oven and let sit at room temperature until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes. Scrape the flesh with a fork to make long strands; set aside.
  3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil with butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Add the garlic and shallot and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are golden brown (about 7-8 minutes).
  4. Add squash to the skillet and cook until heated through. Sprinkle in herbs and parmesan and toss to incorporate everything.
  5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Lamb Meatballs with Mint

Makes about 30 meatballs
*Adapted from Food & Wine 

Ingredients
1 pound ground lamb
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup tomato puree


Preparation
  1. In a bowl, mix the lamb with the egg, bread crumbs and 1 tablespoon of the mint. Season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a very large skillet. Add the meatballs and fry over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 4 minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a plate.
  3. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of mint and puree.
  4. Return the onion puree to the skillet. Add the broth, tomato puree and meatballs and simmer over low heat until the meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.


Smoked Porter Braised Short Ribs
Serves 6
*Adapted from All About Braising by Molly Stevens

Ingredients
4 pounds meaty bone-in short ribs
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large yellow onions, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 carrot, chopped
1 1/2 cup porter ale
1 cup beef stock, more if needed
One sprig of fresh rosemary
1 large or 2 small bay leaves

1. Trim any excess fat from the short ribs, but don't take off any of the silver-skin or tough looking bits that hold the ribs together. Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel then season liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Pour oil into a Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot wide enough to accommodate the ribs in a crowded single layer and heat over medium heat. Add only as many ribs as will fit without touching and brown them, turning with tongs, until brown on all sides, about 3 min per side. Transfer seared ribs to a platter and continue until all ribs are browned.
3. Pour off and discard all but about a tablespoon of fat from the pot. Return pot to medium-high heat and add the onions and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and sauté, stirring, until veggies start to brown and soften.
4. Add the porter ale and bring to a full boil for 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get up all the browned bits. Pour in stock, bring to a boil again, then reduce to a simmer. Return ribs to the pot, along with any juices that have collected on the platter. Tuck the rosemary and bay leaves into the meat. The ribs should be mostly submerged in liquid, if necessary add more ale or stock, or even water.
5. Cover pot with a sheet of parchment paper, pressing down so that it nearly touches the ribs and hangs over the edges of the pot by about an inch. Set the lid securely in place. Slide the pot into the oven and braise at a gentle simmer until fork tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
6. When the ribs are tender and the meat is pulling away from the bones, use tongs or a slotted spoon to carefully transfer them to a platter. Try to keep ribs in tact as much as possible, but don't worry if some bones slip out. Scoop out the vegetables and braising liquid with a large spoon and spoon over the ribs. 




Comments

Popular Posts