Music and Food in the Kitchen - A little "me time"


There are various kitchen gadgets out there designed to speed up the cooking process. Garlic presses, the "Slap Chop", virtually everything from Pampered Chef. I just have no use for these things.
Sure, there are some nights when I need a quick meal prepared, but for the most part I'm in no hurry to get out of my kitchen. The hour or so I spend in my kitchen nightly when I get out of work, is my "Me Time". The weekends, well I've been known to be in there all day!

My mid-week routine goes something like this... I pour a glass of wine, turn on some music and leisurely chop garlic, slice vegetables and trim meat. It's a whole sensory experience that helps me unwind and focus on nothing but what's in front of me. The taste of wine, the smell of garlic as it hits hot oil, the feel of a summer breeze through my kitchen windows, the beautiful sight of colorful produce on my cutting board, and the sound of music paired with the sizzle of a saute pan...so soothing!

What do I listen to while I'm in the kitchen? That greatly depends on multiple factors. What mood am I in? What mood do I want to be in? What's for dinner? These three questions determine my cooking music. Sometimes you need an up tempo to give you and your food some lift. Other times, something soulful is needed to reach deep into you... and into your stock pot.

Here's a few music and cooking "pairings" I've done recently.



Dinner: Rabbit Stew
Music: The Streetlights Album by Bonnie Raitt
While this fragrant stew of rabbit (or chicken if you desire), carrots, rosemary, tomatoes and white wine simmered on the stove the song Rainy Day Man came on and I had an intense sense of contentment in my kitchen. Bonus points if it's actually raining!






Dinner: Summer Vegetable Pizza
Music: Crazy IPOD Mix
I have a playlist that is perfectly upbeat for those times when I want to also have a dance party in the kitchen while a cook, a mix that consists of Maneater by Hall & Oats, Poker Face by Lady Gaga, Electric Feel by MGMT and Rump Shaker by Wreckx-N-Effect, among other songs. It might be viewed as a bit schizophrenic, true, but you can easily shake your booty while chopping vegetables to any of these songs. Try it if you don't believe me.






Dinner: Grilled Calamari with Grilled Lemon and Herbs (recipe below)
Music: The Soul Station on Spotify
This channel gives me Marvin Gaye, The Main Ingredient, Etta James and Ray Charles; it's an excellent cooking station. It puts some groove into your food.






Dinner: Tomato & Sausage Bake over polenta
Music: Stings Englishman in New York
As my recipe for the Tomato & Sausage Bake is a Jaime Oliver recipe, this British tune seems appropriate. Plus it's just a great song.






Dinner: Shrimp and Veggie Skewers with herbed rice and three bean salad
Music: Prairie Home Companion on VPR
Okay so, technically not 100% music. But Garrison Keillor's voice is melodic and soothing and they always throw some folky music into the mix that makes you tap your toe without realizing.








For me, music in my kitchen is a major factor in how the food comes out. You can channel your feelings into your dishes. People always say you can taste the love in a home cooked meal, I think you can also taste soulfulness, excitement, and contentment.
So don't rush through cooking, pour yourself a drink, turn on the tunes, and enjoy your "me time", your meals will taste better for it...Bonus points if you have someone in the house who likes their "me time" to involve washing dishes.

Recipe for Grilled Squid with grilled lemon and herbs:
1 1/2 pounds cleaned squid, tentacles and bodies, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, thyme, basil, or mint or any combo of herbs you like
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 fresh lemon, cut in half

With a sharp knife, lightly score the squid bodies, being careful not to cut through all the way.

In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Add the squid bodies and tentacles, toss to coat, and marinate for 2 hours, refrigerated, turning twice.

Put tentacles on skewers to prevent losing them to the grill.
Preheat the grill to high heat. Grill the squid (and lemon halves), turning until opaque, slightly golden, and just cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the squid. Drizzle with extra olive oil and squeeze grilled lemon juice from grilled lemons over the squid. Serve immediately.



Comments

Popular Posts