The Perfect Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich


Thanksgiving is the holiday that always sneaks up on me. One day I'm disposing of rotting jack-o-lanterns and then "Bam!" time to think about Turkey Day!
I'm not that big on turkey actually, I mean I will eat anything if you dump enough gravy on it but when my options include stuffing and mashed potatoes then sorry turkey, you ain't cutting it.
But no worries, turkey has a far higher purpose....leftovers. Turkey is the star of my eating existence for the few days after Thanksgiving. I have it in quesadillas, hash, and of course, sandwiches.
Oh my lord, do I love the leftover turkey sandwich. I have a couple of favorite recipes, hmmm....seems a bit nutty to call building a sandwich a recipe, anyway there are two turkey leftover sandwiches I like to build, one I usually have on Black Friday and it has roasted cherry tomatoes, spinach, garlicky aioli with whole grain mustard and some melty brie cheese on a baguette, yum!
But my absolute favorite is the classic and it is best consumed mid to late night after you've demolished 2 plates of turkey with all the fixings and like 8 slices of various pies and after you've watched several hours of football and took a little snooze on the sofa. Magically at this time of the night you become hungry again! (It's amazing really!) And at this wonderful time you can slap together the most gratifying sandwich in a matter of minutes. Here are the very simple building instructions.

Step 1: Pull pile of leftovers from fridge, (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce) as well as mayo and english muffins, yes, I said english muffins, trust me.

Step 2: Toast english muffins and spread with butter (I know it seems a bit like overkill adding butter, especially considering that the next step is going to instruct you to use that aforementioned mayo but you simply cannot have an english muffin without butter on it, it's just wrong.)

Step 3: Apply mayo liberally to both sides of your english muffin.

Step 4: Press cold stuffing onto bottom muffin layer to form a relatively thick layer (duh, stuffing's the best part!) Add layer of cranberry sauce, top with turkey and finish with a bit of salt and pepper before putting on your english muffin lid.

Step 5: Squish sandwich so it sorta fits in your mouth, then eat your heart out.

Now this may sound a bit lushy of me (guilty as charged) but this salty, savory sandwich really benefits from a nice fruity glass of wine by it's side. My pick is a super affordable Spanish Cabernet.

Garduno Cab has a beautiful nose that's all dark, mossy, ripe fruit. The palate is full, with concentrated black berry flavors and hints of licorice, dusty cocoa powder, and black tea.
The only thing that makes this pairing more perfect is sharing it with someone. Having a middle of the night kitchen raid is always more fun with an accomplice.

Comments

Popular Posts