June brings easy cooking...and drinking.

I don't feel much like fussing about in the kitchen, which I usually love to do. But the passed few weeks I've felt the need for instant gratification. I want me and my kitchen to produce beautiful food together, but without much effort on either of our parts. I'm also demanding this from my wine as well. I don't want complexity at the moment, I want easy enjoyment. Apparently I'm feeling quite lazy all around and want my life to be on the same languidly floating boat. In other words, I'm not an Oscar drama, I'm a romantic comedy. No thinking, no hard work, just chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool.

On this thread I bring you a super simple and yet satisfying pasta dish, (because what's easier than pasta) and an easy-going white wine to pair with it.

Summer Garden Tortellini (adapted from Gourmet)
Serves 2-4

Ingredients:
9 oz pkg fresh cheese tortellini
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 oz. proscuitto, thinly sliced and cut into strips
2 cups corn (fresh from about 4 ears or frozen and thawed)
1/2 stick unsalted butter
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup basil, chopped
grated parmesan cheese

1. Cook tortellini in a pot of boiling salted water according to package intructions
2. While pasta cooks, saute garlic, proscuitto, corn, and some salt & pepper in butter in a large skillet over med-high heat, stirring occasionally until just tender, 4-5 minutes
3. Combine corn mixture and tomatoes in a large bowl
4. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water, then drain tortellini and add to vegetables alon with reserved pasta water and basil. Toss well and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve!


Wine to match? Try a bottle of the Umberto Cesari Colle del Re, Albana di Romagna from Italy.
The Albana di Romagna, made from Albana grapes, is Italy's first DOCG white wine. The Colle del Re is a dry, elegant style from a single vineyard plot and is estate grown and bottled. The wine is delicately fragrant with a perfume of pear, pear blossoms, and lime that carry over to the refreshing, somewhat frizzante palate. It's simple, yet dignified with notes of almonds on the smooth finish and it pairs rather delightfully with the Summer Garden Tortellini.

It's a blissfully simple pairing and fits right into my current grand scheme of being quite scheme-less.

Comments

Popular Posts