February in Vermont is a cold harsh time. That's just the way it is. It's one of the only sure things in the VT weather world and that is kind of comforting because I'm always prepared for it. I stock my fridge and pantry with the things I need to create warm, homey meals. And what's warmer and more comforting than chili? And the best thing about chili is that with a few basic ingredients in the pantry and fridge, (things I always have anyway) dinner is easy and cheap!
I'm going to give you a recipe for a Vegetarian Chili. Now, lets be clear, I am a meat eater. But I love me some Veggie Chili! It's hearty and satisfying, especially when paired with my Cornbread Pudding (recipe included) which does, by the way, have bacon in it! So what's extra great about a Vegetarian Chili? It takes almost zero planning (ie. "Did I defrost the meat?") and it's light on the wallet (ie."They want how much for beef?") So here it is, my favorite version of Vegetarian Chili and my super yummy Cornbread Pudding.

Vegetarian Chili
Serves 6-8

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
1 lb. crimini mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cubed
2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespooon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 can each black beans and chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock, or water
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Directions
In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Top with any of your favorites (shredded cheddar, sour cream, avocado, scallions) I like 'em all!

Cornbread Pudding
Serves 6-8
(I invented this recipe because I love the ease & affordability of boxed cornbread mix but it always seems too dry. My solution? Soak it in an eggy custard!)

Ingredients
Already baked Cornbread, cooled and cubed
6oz. bacon, cut into lardons
2 medium shallots, diced
1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
5 oz gruyere cheese, cubed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a medium skillet saute bacon until golden, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. In the same pan add the shallots and serrano pepper and cook until wilted about 3 minutes, let cool. In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, cream, salt and pepper. Add bacon, and sauteed shallot & serrano to the custard along with cubed gruyere and cornbread. Mix until well combined then pour into prepared baking dish and top with parmesan cheese. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the center is firm and the top is golden.

So I hope these recipes will warm you up on the cold February days! Need a wine pairing suggestion? I happen to have one! I enjoyed my Veggie Chili and Cornbread pudding with the 2009 Borgo Thaulero Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. It shows aromas of earthy plum with a peppered toffee edge. It's smooth and drinkable with flavors of purple fruits, a touch of acidity, and a nice drying finish.

Comments

Popular Posts