Arancini and Spanish Red Wine


I've been really into Spanish wine lately. The whites pack a lot of punch. Big aromas, big flavors, and all balanced with zippy and refreshing acidity. But what I'm really yearning for are the reds. I have had quite a few recently that are richly concentrated, ripe, and yet drinkable and smooth. That's what I want! Even better when I find them affordably priced. Take the Vallformosa Primvm Vitae Tempranillo from Rioja. The wine is Joven, or young, it's medium-bodied and fruity yet round. It's very pleasant to drink with flavors reminiscent of strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry that are accented by fresh but mild acidity
When I first taste a wine, I immediately imagine what my ideal meal would be to compliment it. Then I usually make that happen. When I took my first sip of this Tempranillo, I scribbled down the word steak.
A few days later armed with another bottle of my Rioja wine, I went to my butcher and bought a beautifully ruby colored NY Strip Steak. It was so pretty and marbled that I decided to keep it simple and season it with just salt and pepper and pan sear it in my trusty cast iron skillet. Delicious, but I didn't stop there. A side dish was needed, something warm and gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside. A quick scan of my fridge and my answer was clear. Arancini. Using some leftover Mushroom and Saffron Risotto from a few nights before and some creamy Gorgonzola that my wonderful brother gave me, I created some Arancini. deep fried balls of risotto with a cheesy center.
It was quite interesting to pair both of these items with my lovely Tempranillo. The simple steak stood alongside like a noble friend, steak and wine in sync, it's a beautiful thing. The Arancini was more like the smooth talker at the bar. You know it's no good (all fried and cheese filled and everything) and yet, so charming! A little flamboyant maybe, but fun! I recommend trying the Arancini, they are super easy to make and super fun to eat! Here's the recipe...

Abby’s Recipe for Arancini

Ingredients
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups Risotto with Mushrooms, recipe follows, cooled
½ cup grated Parmesan
1-½ cups bread crumbs
2 oz. Gorgonzola
Salt
Directions
Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees.
Stir the eggs, risotto, Parmesan, and ½ cup of breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Put remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Using 2 Tbls of the risotto mixture for each, form the mixture into balls, about the size of a large golf ball. Insert a small piece of Gorgonzola into the center of each ball. Roll the balls in breadcrumbs to coat.
Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot oil and cook until golden brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt while warm. Serve immediately.

Mushroom & Saffron Risotto
3 cups chicken broth
1 pinch of saffron threads
½-ounce dried mushrooms, (like porcini, chanterelle, or a blend)
2 Tbls each unsalted butter and olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
5 oz. white mushrooms, finely chopped (you can substitute crimini or shitake)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup Arborio rice
¼ cup dry white wine
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt & Pepper to taste

Bring the broth, saffron, and dried mushrooms to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove & chop mushrooms once tender and reserve. Keep broth warm over very low heat.
Heat olive oil & the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add all of the mushrooms & garlic, season with salt & pepper. Saute until mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and let it toast a couple of minutes. Add the wine; cook until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 min. Add 1 cup of hot broth; simmer over med-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 3 min. Continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more broth by the cupfuls and stirring often, about 15 minutes. Mix in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts