Soup Weather

It's been quite a long while since I posted something on this crazy blog. I'm clearly bad at this and need to get my act together. And luckily the changing of seasons has hit me with face full of inspiration!

It's Fall! Or Autumn, if you prefer. And it's the best time to be cooking yummy things. Farmer's Markets are full of produce, late summer tomatoes abound, and the hankering for being shut up in my kitchen on a cool September day is unrelenting. Nothing speaks to the soul, or the stomach, like homemade soup.
Now anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not so good about creating an actual recipe. I chuck stuff into meals with out paying much attention to measurements or time. I'm working on it. It's a process. Creating a recipe is difficult. It seems much easier to cook with reckless abandon and a glass or two of wine! But like I said, I'm working on it!
So here goes my latest recipe attempt. I've decided that my favorite grilled cheese sandwich (sourdough, VT cheddar cheese, ripe tomato and bacon) deserves a chance at soup stardom. I'm entering it into a recipe contest. Clearly the inspiration here is fame and a prize! So here's what I have come up with....

 Grilled Cheese Soup with Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Bacon

4 slices of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 12 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
1 lb. sharp VT cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
2 slices of sourdough bread, crust removed and cubed
2 Tbl. butter.
Basil or Parsley sprigs for garnish

1. Saute bacon in a soup pot over med high heat til golden and crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain. Add vegetables to reserved bacon drippings and cook, stirring occasionally until tender.
2. Add tomatoes and stock, heat until boiling then reduce heat and puree mixture with an immersion blender til smooth, simmer about 5 minutes.
3. Simmer milk over medium heat, toss cheddar and flour together in a plastic bag then gradually add floured cheese to milk stir until thickened. Add mixture to soup, season with salt and pepper and mix until well incorporated.
4. In a small saute pan melt butter over medium heat. Add bread cubes and cook until golden and crisp.
5. Serve soup garnished with reserved bacon, bread cubes, and fresh basil or parsley.

Serves about 4 people and tastes just like my favorite grilled cheese sandwich, but in soup form!

Comments

  1. Abby -
    I can't wait to try the Grilled Cheese soup with Fire Roast Tomatoes this fall!.
    Can I use a regular "blender" to puree the vegetable/stock mixture?

    Laurie Darling

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts