Sometimes the inspiration to cook something comes from an unexpected source.  Say your husband shoots down your first dinner suggestion....Spinach fettucine with fresh favas, sweet sausage and white wine sauce.  Okay, fine, not feeling fancy tonight, I can work with that.  The sausage had to remain in the menu though because I HAD to use it.  You know when you just can't let something go uncooked in the fridge another day?  But I had to think outside my usual sausage menu options.  Truth be told we have had our fair share of sausage this passed month, always in different preparations as I despise redundancy, it's been cheap at the grocery store.
We've done sausage with peppers and onions, spaghetti with meatballs and sausage, grilled sausage and shrimp skewers, sausage with kale, sausage stuffed into various ingredients (mushrooms, clams, potatoes).  It has been, excuse me for using the term but how can I not, a sausage fest.
So now I'm staring blankly into my refrigerator wondering how to satisfy the craving for "guy food"?  And then, it dawned on me! Burgers.  Sausage Burgers.  And yes, they were delicious.
I fluffed them up with some reconstituted bulger wheat and dried mushrooms.  Added some thyme, chopped onion, and garlic and topped them with sauteed mushrooms and onions and brie cheese.  I noticed they started to lean to the French in influence so I also made a thyme and chive aioli.  French Pork Burgers were born!  As I am prone to do when it comes to burgers I served them with something from the frozen potato department, hooray waffle fries.
 Last night the favas and sausage pasta dish came to be, I don't think it was received as well as I hoped.  I devoured mine.  And the sausage is officially out of the fridge.  But is was fun to have a food challenge, and I'm actually trying to think of other crazy ways I could use sausage in the future.  But not today.

Comments

Popular Posts